Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop – December 12, 2013
1.) Something you love about December.
2.) Capture a conversation shared between kids.
3.) A favorite Christmas ornament.
4.) Christmas Must Haves (could even be a list created by a child)
5.) Talk about a problem you tackled this week.
Living in an RV in the middle of a forest definitely gives you perspective on what are definite must-haves for the Christmas season. We don’t have a lot of space to put up decorations inside the camper, so we have had to make due with outdoor decorations.
Here is my list of must-haves:
- Christmas tree. No room inside, but plenty of trees outside to choose from to decorate. My father was nice enough to put up some lights on a tree outside of our window so we can view it on a regular basis. One benefit of this is the tree gets to live and all we have to do is remove the lights at the end of the season. One downside is that we can’t put any gifts under the tree this year, but we can live without that this year.
- Egg Nog is a definitely must-have. I love the stuff. It’s probably a good thing that it isn’t available year-round. If it was, I’d be as huge as a house.
- Family. I have a special perspective of this as last year was just my kids and myself as the rest of my family was in Texas while I was still in Illinois. It was such a quiet holiday with the exception of my poor cat being attacked by some animal and having half of his paw ripped off on Christmas Eve.
- Cookies. I’m not fond of sweets in general, but there is something about the house smelling of cookies baking in the oven that lends to the Christmas spirit. Besides, you absolutely must leave a plate of cookies for Santa. And don’t forget the carrots for the reindeer.
- Finally, Christmas music. But this must be used in moderation. Working in retail for several years I realized that Christmas music could become quite annoying if it is all you hear for 8 hours straight. It should definitely be mixed in with regular music or simply silence every so often to keep people from wanting to hang themselves.
There’s my list. At least for now. I think that I might come up with some other ideas as the season wears on.