Blogging Circle of Friends: Day 351 Prompt: Prompt: Your entire community — however you define that; your hometown, your neighborhood, your family, your colleagues — is guaranteed to read your blog tomorrow. Write the post you’d like them all to see.
“Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it’s very important that you do it.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Citizens of my fair town, you must listen to me. Our town has a tiny population of just 2,893 as of 2012. Just over 26% of that population is children under the age of 18. Of those children, four boys aged 15 have committed suicide in the past year alone. Why aren’t you livid? Why aren’t you screaming at the top of your lungs that something should be done to help these children? Why is this town so silent on this subject?
You can’t just close your eyes and turn your backs and hope this all goes away. You can’t just pretend it doesn’t exist. This isn’t about God punishing a sinner. This is about parents turning a blind eye to their own children. This could be your son, your daughter, your niece, your nephew, your grandson, your granddaughter, and your neighbor. This could be someone you know and love with all of your heart. Why aren’t you doing something about it?
I just cannot understand why nobody is talking about it. The school held an assembly one day, over a month after the last incident, to talk about suicide. That was it. One day. One assembly. No mention of it before that. No mention of it after that. Nothing was sent home to the parents. No crisis workers were sent to the school to help the children who were grieving the loss of a fellow student. There was barely even a mention of the incident in the newspaper and definitely no mention of the cause.
I feel like I live in a black hole where no one ever talks about what’s really going on. They just close their doors and pretend they didn’t see anything. I just don’t understand why no one is even acknowledging there is an epidemic in their town.
Also inspired by: Daily Prompt: Community Service
- Daily Prompt: Community Service (triutamixiips2.wordpress.com)
- My community (lifeconfusions.wordpress.com)
- Hood Chick [Daily Prompt: Community Service] (unknowinglee.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Community Service (lifebeinggirly.com)
- Daily Prompt: Community Service (angloswiss-chronicles.com)
- Daily Prompt: Community Service (henokethio.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Community Service (mroberts1770.wordpress.com)
- The Community Of Bloggers (flowersandbreezes.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Community Service. What Service? (rolbos.wordpress.com)