Normally I try to find obscure national days that many people might not have heard of to write about, but I felt that National Coming Out Day was too important to not write about it.
National Coming Out Day was founded in 1988 by Robert Eichberg and Jean O’Leary and the date was chosen because it was the anniversary of the 1987 National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights. Today is its 25th Anniversary.
Personally I don’t think it should be necessary for people to have to come out of the closet. I mean, I don’t have to come out of the closet for being straight. What the hell business is it of anybody’s who is sharing my bed or whom I am walking down the aisle with? I hope for a day that everyone can simply be who they want to be without judgment or criticism from others, without the need for “Coming Out”. They should be free to be whomever they wish with whomever they wish.
I’m certain that there are people out there who don’t agree with me, and that is fine. That is your choice. But personally I don’t wish to fill my life with hate. I’d rather fill it with love.
Please be respectful when leaving your comments below. Thank you.
- Thursday Throwdown: National Coming Out Day (a day early) Version! Gays vs. Straights (twintasticworld.com)
- Adam Lambert, Ellen DeGeneres, Chaz Bono Coming Outs Celebrated In HRC Video (ontopmag.com)
- Watch: HRC Celebrates 25 Years of National Coming Out Day (hrc.org)
- Barron: We Should Celebrate National Coming Out Day (eile.ie)
- National Coming Out Day 2013 (dangrayson21.wordpress.com)
- Come Out, Come Out, Whoever You Are… Why We Need National Coming Out Day (abravefaith.wordpress.com)
- Happy National Coming Out Day 🙂 (hiddenperspectives.org)
- National Coming Out Day: Support equal rights for all LGBT on Oct. 11 (examiner.com)
- National Coming Out Day: LAUSD Launches Campaign for Safer Schools (hrc.org)
- 11 October 2013 (candicemontgomery.wordpress.com)