Okay, so an organization called COPE: Citizens for Objective Public Education is suing the Kansas State Board of Education because they believe that the Next Generation Science Standards are unconstitutional because it establishes and endorses a non-theistic religious worldview in violation with the 14th Amendment (a copy of the complaint can be seen here). Basically the premise is that because it does not teach Creationism or any other theological theory of how the world began that it is establishing atheism as a state religion.
Okay, those are the facts. Now begins my rant. I’m sure there will be some people who disagree with me. That is your right. These are my opinions and I hope the opinions of the courts who end up hearing this utterly ridiculous case.
Based on their own case, science can’t be taught in public schools at all because it does not include religious theory. By this same standard, math, English, Health, Social Studies, Agriculture, etc., etc. also cannot be taught. Seriously? This is insane.
Don’t get me wrong. I believe it is a parent’s right to teach their child religious theory in all things. However, this is not the place of the public school system. It either needs to remain at home or in the church. If you don’t want your children taught evolution, then send them to private school and keep your religion out of public affairs.
- Christian groups sue to stop Kansas schools from adopting science standards (richarddawkins.net)
- The Kansas Board of Education (Seriously) Just Got Sued for Promoting the Teaching of Evolution in Science Classes (patheos.com)
- Kansas Christians Sue To Stop Science In Schools (addictinginfo.org)
- Kansas Group Files Lawsuit To Remove Evolution From Schools (classwarfareexists.com)
- Christian Groups Sue to Stop Kansas Schools from Adopting Science Standards (tutoringtoexcellence.blogspot.com)
- More trouble with Kansas: Christians sue to prevent implementation of science standards (whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com)
- Lawsuit: Edu. standards promote atheism (kshb.com)
- 28 September 2013. You Can’t Make Up Shit Like This… “Christian” Groups Sue to Stop Kansas Schools from Using Science Standards (02varvara.wordpress.com)